Tuesday, 4 October 2016
Another Mother F*cking hurdle as a working mum!
So here is a quick round up of the past few weeks..
Here I am once again with my very limited child free time, trying to keep my online and offline presence in that big wide world!
My theme and focus lately has been NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK!!! After all isn't it who you know rather than what you know?
So where do you start with networking.. At an event of course.. First hurdle: I have a husband who works late (my friend calls it a new media widow).. here I am having repeated to him 5,000 times I have 2 networking events so he has to do the child relay with me.. only for those plans the be stamped on like a little ant on a zebra crossing! Of course he has to work late!! OF COURSE!!
Ok plan B neighbours, friends.. distant relatives? Oh my poor little angel...being passed around at the bedtime hour, just so mummy can go out and try and rally up some business! Nothing is easy..
When I finally got to the first event #WorkthatWorks everybody was milling around drinking prosecco.. oh I'll have a juice then being 5 months pregnant.. second fail of the night.. lucky the rest of the night proved to be an enlightening experience.
An all business woman panel, Motherpukka..who rocks, head of the Women's Equality party..who equally rocks, and head of Not On The High Street..What a line up!!
After an inspiring evening I left feeling the girl power.. and also with a slight anger about the difficulties working mothers face and the distance us mothers still have to go in order to convince people flexible working is NOT daylight robbery.. it's the way forward!! If the work is done, does it matter!!?? Do we have to sit on functional chairs with tiled carpet offices and strip lighting, fighting with every other fucker who's commuting at the same time in order to get to work on time and then having to leave early wading through those piercing daggers, just because you have to pick up your child! This is the modern day!! What is there to not understand about flexible working??!! #Workthatworks all the way!
Anyhow, that was last week.. this week didn't actually fair any better! So here I am trying to arrange a networking event for mums, with a company that's actually for mums, that is until I received an e-mail saying as I am pregnant she didn't think I was 'able' to run a networking event and she didn't want to to affect her reputation by cancelling these events last minute.. OMG.. WTF!!! Here I was last week all inspired that a group of women are pioneering thought change on how the world sees working mothers and then 2 blinks later I get dropped by a company thats an advocate for Working Mothers... I don't think I have faced this much adversity and difficulty to make something work as I have since being pregnant.. Needless to stay I responded with a stern letter!
Note to world, I am pregnant.. I do not have leprosy!!!
So once again I've had to dust myself down..turn around and give the finger and say, you know what.. I'll just do it myself!!
So that's where I am.. I am now organising a networking event! If I am having these problems surely there are others???
So London Mums Network has been set up.. I'll now be spending the next few weeks promoting the F*ck out of it.. so watch this space!! I will not surrender!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment